Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Aussies Stosur and Philippoussis Out of Australian Open

Australians Samantha Stosur and Mark Philippoussis will not be playing in the Australian Open.

Stosur, 23 years old and ranked 46th, battled viruses (including meningitis) all last year. She resumed training a few weeks ago but won't be in shape in time for the Australian Open series of tournaments this month and has withdrawn from them.

Philippoussis, 31 and ranked 119th, was sidelined with a knee injury last year and tore the cartiledge in that knee in a wild-card playoff match on December 15.

Stosur will be back on tour after the Australian summer, but Philippoussis' career may be over.

Speaking of his fourth round of knee surgery, he said, "And I'll be honest, you've got to understand it's more a mental battle getting back from injury after injury."

Doesn't sound good, but a little time could brighten his attitude. Mark may be the best player never to have won a grand slam.

Stosur said:

I am very disappointed I won't be able to compete during the Australian summer. I have been back training for the last three weeks but I've realized that I won't be fully ready to compete at the Australian Women's Hardcourts, which starts in six days, and I've also withdrawn from the Australian Open.

...

I always love competing at home in Australia and have had some of my best results here, which makes the decision not to play especially hard. But I need to concentrate on the long-term goal of getting my health and fitness 100 percent again, so I don't want to start competing again until I'm fully ready.

It isn't worth getting sick yet again because you tried to come back and play such grueling events in a weakened state.

Technorati Tags:

Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home