Friday, August 18, 2006

Mystery Solved: What's "Photoshop Tennis"?

How many times have you searched for tennis websites and come up with this? That page just sits there and sits there and sits there smirking at you.

Now, I know what photoshopping a photo is. I can do it myself. For example, I photoshopped this image to eliminate another picture of Dolly on the right, "smudging" the areas I "cloned" to paint on top of it and then adding the text. Cool, eh? I also photoshopped the still photos of Rafa's service backswing here, to desaturate the background so he and his racket and the ball are more visible against it. I had much more success with that stunt here, to make John McEnroe stand out visibly from the crowd in the background. If I wanted to, I could cut myself out of one photo and paste me into another to make it look like I am playing on Centre Court at Wimbledon!

And I'm just a hack who has learned these tricks by fooling around with high-end graphics software like Photoshop and Canvas. So, imagine what an expert can do, especially with that decietful "clone" tool.

So, for awhile I wondered if Photoshop Tennis was a scandal about media "photoshopping" photos of tennis matches, like the recent scandal about a "photoshopped" Reuters photo of the Israeli strike on a Hezbollah hideout in Beruit to make it look like half the city was being bombed.

No. Sports photographers don't have to juice up their work like that.

So, what IS Photoshop Tennis? The forerunner of Beach Tennis?

Give up? When bewildered, try Wikipedia. See also here.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home